- 13 Texts
- 21 PDFs
Mindful awareness is paying careful attention to what is happening now, and noticing when your attention drifts away. Mindful awareness practices help people of all ages develop habits that make us better decision makers. Strategies for developing mindfulness include breathing exercises and awareness activities.
Included in the Mindful Choices Program:
- Mindful breathing exercises (in audio recordings and written scripts) to incorporate into the daily classroom routine
- Plans for mini-lessons that support deeper understanding of mindfulness-related concepts: self-awareness, empathy, attention to detail, strengthening self- control, and leaving one’s comfort zone
- Ideas for integrating mindful awareness practices into your classroom throughout the year
Research Has Shown:
- Higher levels of emotional control, optimism and empathy than students who were not instructed in mindfulness (“Mindfulness Exercises Improve Kids’ Math Scores” –Time, Jan. 26, 2015).
- Reduced behavior problems and aggression among students (“San Francisco Schools Transformed by the Power of Meditation” – NBC Nightly News, Dec. 29, 2014).
- Improvement with metacognition and their ability to maintain attention. These students also showed improvements in memory, planning, and organization (The Mindful Child by Susan Kaiser Greenland).
- Increased impulse control (Sitting Still Like a Frog by Eline Snel).
- “One significant outcome was seeing my students internalize the practice as a ‘go-to’ option for how to handle their stress during the day. A few students noted on their end of the year reflection sheet that I taught them how to breathe.” -- Middle school teacher, Gen. George A. McCall School
- “I have conducted breathing exercises in my classroom...because the stress level has been pretty high lately. The students love taking some time to reflect and survey how they are feeling. The last time I did it, the students all commented on how relaxed and peaceful they felt afterwards.” -- Middle school teacher, Vare-Washington School
The Alliance for Decision Education is dedicated to the belief that better decisions lead to better lives and a better society. Our mission is to improve lives by empowering students with the decision skills to be better decision makers and better understand the world they live in.
Working with education experts, we created engaging and award-winning programs that introduced decision skills to students across the country. Our programs and instructional content help develop students’ critical thinking, social, and emotional skills. In addition, we support and assist research to develop new products, interventions, and instructional methods to help bring Decision Education to every Middle and High School student.
To contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.